Remember March 13th is the beginning of DayLIght savings!
Set your clocks 1 hour ahead and Spring forward!
Houston is a big place!
But don't worry...
All of the fun stuff happens in a few neighborhoods
Museum district: Where the wedding will be! Home to the museums and Hermann park. A great place for a walk or jog. About 20 minutes from the hotel by foot, or 3 stops north on the red line
Medical Center: Where the Marriott Hotel is. The world's biggest medical center! We got doctors for your doctors! Great place to find a postdoc. Convenient to everything via the red line. North to museum district, south to rodeo.
Montrose: Just north of the red circle. Great for restaurants, museums, shops, and coffee
The Red line is your friend!
Important stops from north to south
WHEELER TRANSIT CENTER - if you are here turn around, you've gone too far north! Or stop and see the Sears, it's... special...
MUSEUM DISTRICT - Stop here for museums, tacos, and the wedding!
HERMANN PARK/RICE U - For walks and jogs around the park
MEMORIAL HERMANN HOSPITAL/HOUSTON ZOO - We're going to the zoo zoo zoo how about you you you
DRYDEN/TMC - The Medical Center and location of the Marriott Hotel
TMC TRANSIT CENTER - keep going south
SMITH LANDS - keep going south
RELIANT PARK -YEEEHAWWW RODEO!!!!!
FANNIN SOUTH - Too far south!!!
Houston has great casual and fine restaurants with lots of nice outdoor seating. Here are some favorites within a 10 minute drive from the Marriott
- Local foods in Rice Village or Montrose - incredibly tasty salads and sandwiches
- El Meson in Rice Village - authentico cuban food. Try that ropa vieja
- El Tiempo (several locations) - Tex Mex with biiiig margaritas
- Dak and Bop - Korean fried chicky chick
- Brooklyn Athletic Club - Great outdoor bar w/ lawn games
WHAT ABOUT ACTIVITIES?
To get to NASA
1. Get a car or find a friend with a car
2. Drive south on I-45 until you see the NASA 1 exit
3. Follow directions to the Johnson Space Center (hint, when you see space ships you are close)
4. Remember to check out Rocket Park on Saturn Drive just down the road
5. Hint! Reserve your tickets online so you don't have to wait for the shuttle tour or other activities
This neighborhood has great restaurants, museums, coffee shops and giant trees
Menil - Modern art museum designed by famous architect Rental Pianos.
Common Bond - They have great fonts on their take out boxes... and great pastries
Black Hole Coffee - hipster defcon 2 coffee
Siphon Coffee - hipster defcon 1 coffee